Airway Focused Treatment Principles
12 Guiding Principles for Airway Focused Treatment
The orthodontic profession is dominated by strong personalities, seductive advertising campaigns and bold claims from hundreds of appliance & device manufacturers. At Integrative Dental of Denver, we have chosen to stay out of the personality charged debates, and instead, FOCUS on a set of principles that guide all of our orthodontic treatment recommendations.
- A beautiful smile should ALWAYS be the most visible result of orthodontic treatment but NEVER the primary goal.
- We do not recommend traditional orthodontic techniques that include the extraction and/or retraction of permanent teeth.
- The mouth and teeth have a direct affect on the jaw joints (TMJ) and airway which, in turn, have an impact on the health and development of the entire body.
- The 3 tenets of proper oral posture – tongue to the roof of the mouth, nasal breathing & lips sealed at rest – make up the foundation of proper facial growth and healthy airway development.
- Tongue ties and mouth breathing are the two largest culprits of poor oral posture which can lead to improper facial development, sub-optimal airway health and sleep/breathing disorders.
- Treating early – as young as 4 years of age – allows us to use less invasive, more holistic techniques that often can be gentler in the short term and more effective in the long term.
- Myofunctional therapy is an under utilized and highly effective adjunct to orthodontic treatment.
- Previous orthodontic treatment that included extraction and/or retraction of permanent teeth can (and in many cases should) be reversed.
- Popping and clicking of the jaw joints is not normal and should never occur.
- TMJ related pain is not normal and should never occur.
- Snoring is not normal and should never occur.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is an under diagnosed and under treated condition that can lead to a lower quality of life and shorter life span.
For more information about our practice or to set an appointment to discuss your situation, contact us at 303.797.0832.
Request a Consultation
- Our Hours
- Monday 8:30am - 5pm
- Tuesday 9:30am - 6pm
- Wednesday 7:30am - 4pm
- Thursday 7:30am - 4pm
- Friday 7:30am - 4pm Call us at anytime for an emergency consult.